FTSE 100 Postal Service Provider (Environmental Management System Implementation)
This FTSE 100 postal service provider is committed to reducing its environment impacts and has a strong environmental governance strategy in place. It approached Newground with the need for a practical programme of support for a pilot group of sites to implement an environmental management system to the requirements of ISO 14001.
Newground’s approach and solution
- The first step was to carry out a strategic gap analysis to review existing environmental documents and tools, against the requirements of the ISO 14001 Standard.
- We then carried out gap analyses at a random sample of sites to assess their current performance against the requirements of ISO 14001.
- From this we developed a phased implementation plan and timetable for certification for the pilot group.
- We designed a bespoke EMS for the organisation that could be effectively implemented at a site level, with the national Environment Manager retaining overall responsibility and ownership.
- In addition to developing a national-level environmental legal register, we developed an easy-to-use site level environmental legal compliance toolkit that each site could use to assess compliance.
- A series of bespoke EMS ‘how to’ workshops were designed and delivered to the pilot group to build their knowledge and support the phased implementation of the EMS at their sites.
- 1:1 support was provided to each pilot site to create ownership of the system.
How we made a difference
We assisted the organisation to develop a robust environmental management system tailored to its needs and design a successful pilot implementation programme. The environmental management systems at all 14 sites in the pilot group achieved certification to ISO 14001. By achieving certification, the organisation is now comparable with its competitors.