JJO plc (Environmental Management System Implementation)
Founded in 1876, J & J Ormerod (JJO) plc manufactures kitchen, bedroom and bathroom furniture, producing more than 600 kitchens and 100 bedrooms every week from its four Rossendale sites.
JJO plc is committed to reducing its environmental impacts and when the Company started to receive environmental questions from clients and in tenders it decided that an Environmental Management System (EMS) certified to the ISO 14001 Standard was required to demonstrate commitment to environmental issues.
JJO sought assistance from Newground with the design and implementation of an EMS to ensure it was implemented effectively, in a timely fashion and in line with ISO 14001 requirements.
Newground provided support in a number of ways:
- Undertaking a gap analysis to assess the sites’ environmental performance against ISO 14001 requirements;
- Developing a phased implementation plan and timetable for certification;
- Developing an environmental legal register using Newground’s Legislation Update Service;
- Developing an environmental project monitoring tool to monitor progress against objectives and targets;
- Providing accredited environmental awareness and waste management training for staff with EMS responsibilities; and
- Delivery of in-house environmental awareness training for newly appointed environmental champions.
How we made a difference
JJO Plc initially implemented an EMS for its main production site, successfully certified to ISO 14001. The Company has since expanded certification to its bathroom division. Being able to demonstrate robust environmental practices and ISO 14001 certification has been instrumental in securing significant new contracts and customers across the UK.
The Company has also gone on to be honoured for its environmental successes at prestigious events such as the Green Apple Awards, Northwest Business Environment Awards and Red Rose Awards.