Skillsbuild is a construction training centre in Whitwood, Castleford where we support people by providing them with construction skills that they can take into the workplace and develop throughout the rest of their lives.
We offer learning opportunities for young people who are 14+ and looking to access alternative prevision as part of their school curriculum as well as people 16+ who currently are not in employment, education or training wishing to develop a trade.
The courses are delivered by Skillsbuild and various partners including Wakefield Metropolitan District Council and various local academies.
We run a number of training programmes:
- Alternative Provision: Specialised construction training for 14-16 year olds
- Re-engagement Construction Training: an alternative to classroom teaching that uses construction as a way back into the learning environment
- Level 1 Bricklaying and Joinery qualifications (C&G)
- Level 2 Joinery qualifications (C&G)
- Traineeships in construction
- Step up in to Construction
Staff are approachable and enthusiastic, which encourages and motivates learners to fully engage and feel supported.
Learners work towards functional skills qualifications in English and maths alongside their chosen subject. Literacy, numeracy, social and leadership skills are also embedded into their theory and practical work to enhance their transferable skills.
Employability sessions are delivered as part of some programmes however, all learners will receive advice and guidance on further study or employment opportunities.
The majority of our learners progress to further education after completing their programme with us and many go on to secure an apprenticeship or employment within the industry.
For more information call 01924 831733 or email