Environmental Management System Implementation - JJO plc
Founded in 1876, J & J Ormerod (JJO) plc manufactures kitchen, bedroom and bathroom furniture, producing more than 600 kitchens and 100 bedrooms every week from its four Rossendale sites.
JJO plc is committed to reducing its environmental impacts and when the Company started to receive environmental questions from clients and in tenders it decided that an Environmental Management System (EMS) certified to the ISO 14001 Standard was required to demonstrate commitment to environmental issues.
JJO sought assistance from Newground with the design and implementation of an EMS in line with ISO 14001 requirements and support was provided in a number of ways:
- Undertaking a gap analysis to assess the current environmental performance of the site against ISO 14001 requirements;
- Developing a phased implementation plan and timetable for certification;
- Developing an environmental legal register using Newground’s Legislation Update Service;
- Developing an environmental project monitoring tool to monitor progress against objectives and targets;
- Providing environmental awareness and waste management training for staff with EMS responsibilities; and
- Delivery of in-house environmental awareness training for newly appointed environmental champions.
JJO Plc successfully achieved certification to ISO 14001 for its main production site and has since expanded certification to its bathroom division. Being able to demonstrate robust environmental practices and ISO 14001 certification has been instrumental in securing significant new contracts and customers across the UK.